The Freelands Artist Programme first open call is now live. The programme will begin in October 2018.
‘What is it?’
In June 2018 Site Gallery, along with our project partners Yorkshire Artspace, S1 Artspace, Bloc Projects and Museums Sheffield, was awarded £375,000 by the Freelands Foundation to support the professional development of 20 Sheffield-based artists over 5 years.
Each selected artist will participate for a two year period, receiving £20,000 worth of investment. This will include a fee, specialist support and professional development.
Site Gallery’s past residencies have supported many artists to go to national and international success. Artists have credited the experience as a critical moment in their careers with many gaining important opportunities following their residency. Many have used the initial work to fuel several years of artistic development.
‘What can I expect?’
- £5,000/year fee for two years
- A production budget
- A work-in-progress show/residency at Site, Yorkshire Artspace or Bloc Projects
- An opportunity to be part of a show curated at the Freelands Foundation in London
- Support from writers and photographers to document your work and processes
- Support and budget to develop public programming
- A bespoke summer school at S1 Artspace
- A collections-based workshop at Museum Sheffield
- Mentorship from arts professionals in the city
- A chance to develop your digital skills
‘Am I eligible?’
You are if you:
- have studio space in Sheffield
- live and work in the UK
- by September 2018, have had a minimum of three years demonstrated practice since your career as an artist began. If you attended university you must have three years practice since graduating.
- are able to commit time to the programme between autumn 2018 and summer 2020.
Please note – there is no upper age limit and artists can be of any nationality.
‘When is the deadline for proposals and are there other key dates?’
Monday, 3 September 2018 at 11.59pm
Artists will be shortlisted by the selection panel on 10 September 2018.
The five selected artists will be announced to the press on 26 September 2018.
‘Who is on the selection panel?’
The panel includes artists Paul Morrison and Harold Offeh. Sharna Jackson and Angelica Sule from Site Gallery will be representing the Project Partners.
‘Who can I get in touch with to find out more?’
We will be holding a Q+A session in our Studio at Site on Tuesday 14 August at 17:00-17:30. You can meet us over the summer and ask questions.
Alternatively, you can email Sharna Jackson at any time.
‘I want to apply or I know someone who should, what’s next?’
Please fill in our application form.